Residence Unit and Other Registration Categories


In addition to registering for individual courses, students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are required to register for Residence at the University. In all Ph.D. programs and most M.A. programs, this is typically done by registering for Residence Units, which provide the basis for tuition charges. This does not apply to students in certain free-standing M.A. programs; see below for exceptions.

If you have questions about registration categories, please contact your department or program administrator.

Degree Requirements

Two Residence Units are required for the M.A. earned as part of a Ph.D. degree; four additional Residence Units, for a total of six overall, are required for the M.Phil., Ph.D., and D.M.A. degrees.

Two Residence Units are required for the free-standing Master of Arts degree (with the exception of the programs listed below).

Full- and Part-Time Registration

A full-time student must register for a Residence Unit or Extended Residence (see below) each semester, whether or not the student is taking courses. Students in Ph.D. programs may not register part time. The full Residence Unit, Extended Residence, and Matriculation and Facilities are considered full-time registration statuses.

With the exceptions listed below, part-time students in free-standing M.A. programs may register for quarter or half Residence Units.

  • A student who is registered for a full Residence Unit may enroll in any number of courses; additional tuition is charged per point if the student registers for more than 18 points per semester.
  • A student who is registered for a half Residence Unit may enroll in no more than three courses.
  • A student who is registered for a quarter Residence Unit may enroll in one or two courses.

Full, half, and quarter Residence Units are calculated on the basis of courses taken for a letter grade, Pass/Fail, or for R credit.

Extended Residence (ER)

After completing the appropriate number of Residence Units, students are required to register for Extended Residence for any term in which they:

  • Hold a University teaching or research appointment
  • Are completing a degree requirement such as course work, language examinations, or qualifying examinations

Matriculation and Facilities (M&F)

Advanced Ph.D. students who neither hold a University appointment nor are completing a degree requirement satisfy the continuous registration requirement by registering for Matriculation and Facilities (M&F), which allows them to make use of various University facilities.

A Ph.D. student registers for M&F if he or she is writing or distributing the dissertation and is not engaged in any of the following:

  • taking a course
  • holding an appointment as a teaching or research fellow
  • completing a degree requirement other than the dissertation defense

In all other cases a Ph.D. student must register for either a Residence Unit or Extended Residence.

Note: Students who register for M&F are not assessed the University Facilities Fee, which includes membership to the Dodge Fitness Center. Beginning with the Spring 2014 semester, GSAS will pay the Dodge access membership fee during the academic year (fall and spring semesters only) for GSAS doctoral students in Arts and Sciences programs who are registered for M&F and either receiving their dissertation fellowship or otherwise eligible for GSAS funding through the multiyear funding package awarded upon admission. For more information, contact

Exceptions to Residence Unit Registration and Billing

Students in the following free-standing M.A. programs do NOT register for Residence Units:

  • American Studies
  • Global French Studies
  • Human Rights Studies
  • Islamic Studies
  • Japanese Pedagogy
  • Jewish Studies
  • Medieval and Renaissance Studies
  • Modern European Studies
  • South Asian Studies