GSAS Compass Spring 2022 Programming
GSAS Compass offers a suite of career development programming tailored to master’s and doctoral students in the Arts and Sciences. Check GSAS Connect for registration information and more details on dates and times. Unless stated otherwise, all workshops in Spring 2022 will be conducted virtually. Please direct questions to [email protected].
Career Development Workshops
Job Search 360
Workshops that cover the basic elements of a successful job search.
- Application Materials: Friday, January 28, 10:00 - 11:00 am EST
- Networking and Informational Interviewing: Friday, February 11, 10:00 - 11:00 am EST
- Interview Basics: Friday, February 25, 10:00 - 11:00 am EST
- Salary Negotiation: Friday, March 11, 10:00 - 11:00 am EDT
MA Academic and Professional Development Series
In collaboration with MA program staff, these workshops are focused on topics that are critical to students' academic progress and professional success, and are intended to build community among MA students from across the Graduate School. We offered two workshops in the Fall and below are the three sessions in the Spring.
- How to Present at a Conference: Friday, February 18, 10:00 - 11:00 am EST
- Thinking about Publishing an Article?: Friday, March 25, 10:00 - 11:00 am EDT
- Applying to PhD Programs: Friday, April 8, 10:00 - 11:00 am EDT
A series of workshops for PhD students in STEM fields and humanities/social science disciplines, and career conversations with alumni.
- Alumni Conversations (all dates tentative pending speaker availability)
- Wednesday, January 26, 12:00 - 1:00 pm EST
- February (date and time TBD)
- March (date and time TBD)
- April (date and time TBD)
- Transferrable Skills and Imagine PhD Series
- Thursday, March 24, 4:00 - 5:00 pm EDT
- Thursday, March 31, 4:00 - 5:00 pm EDT
- Thursday, April 7, 4:00 - 5:00 pm EDT
Peer Mock Interview Workshop
Attendees will sharpen their interview skills through this interactive workshop, which will offer the rare opportunity to be on both sides of the interview table.
- Tuesday, March 29, 4:00 - 5:30 pm EDT
Alumni Networking Opportunities
- General alumni networking opportunities
- Field-specific networking events in fields such as non-profit, arts and culture, science careers, consulting and finance, among others
Employer Recruiting Events
Columbia University Graduate Career Expo, Thursday, February 24
Come and network virtually with 80+ employers looking to connect with Master's and Doctoral students from five Columbia University Graduate Schools. This even is open exclusively to students and alumni from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, School of Professional Studies, School of Social Work, and Teachers College. Register here.
PhD & Master's Virtual Career Expo, Wednesday, March 9
This is a national recruitment event sponsored by the Graduate Career Consortium, which connects PhD and Master's students, as well as postdocs and alumni from STEM, humanities, and social science fields to a wide range of employers. The event organizers hope to have more than 50 employers represented. Register here.
Employer Information Sessions
These hour-long events are an excellent way to make employer connections, gain insider knowledge about an organization or company, and learn about job and internship opportunities. Check GSAS Connect for upcoming sessions.
Click here to view recordings of previous events on our YouTube channel.