Program Category: MA Programs
Chair: Haruo Shirane
Director of Graduate Studies: Shigeru Eguchi
Email Address: [email protected]
The MA in Japanese Pedagogy provides students with theories and practices essential for a qualified instructor of Japanese at the college or pre-college level. A candidate for the MA in Japanese Pedagogy may take from three to six summers to obtain the degree. Students take eleven required courses and write an MA thesis while studying with renowned faculty from Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, Wisconsin (Madison), and other universities.
Special Admissions Requirements
In addition to the requirements listed below, all students must submit one transcript showing courses and grades per school attended, a Statement of Academic Purpose (one page, hand-written in Japanese), and two letters of recommendation from academic sources.
All international students whose native language is not English and whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- Deadline for Summer Admission:
- Thursday, February 17, 2022
- Resume Requirement:
- Writing Sample:
- GRE General:
- Degree Programs:
- Full Time
- Letter of Recommendation:
- BA or equivalent from an accredited institution in the US, Japan or elsewhere
- Proficiency in English (for native Japanese speakers: 230/570 TOEFL or above) or Japanese (for non-native Japanese speakers/ACTFL: Advanced-High or above)