Registration and Renewal of Fellowships


All GSAS fellows, except those with specific research fellowships that require them to be away from campus, must register during the registration period indicated in the Academic Calendar and must reside in New York City or its vicinity during the term of their award in order to devote full time to academic studies. Any interruption of study during the year, except for regular University vacations or approved leaves, will terminate an award. Should a fellow resign his or her fellowship during the year of the award, a prorated portion (the amount to be determined by the Office of Financial Aid) must be returned to the University.

Renewal of Fellowships

Although it is the Graduate School’s intention to guarantee multiyear fellowships for the designated period, this guarantee is not unconditional. All funding from the Graduate School is contingent on the fellow meeting the standards for performance and progress as established by the program and GSAS. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress—or, in the case of student officers, failure to discharge responsibly pedagogical or research duties—may result in the loss of funding. These standards for satisfactory progress are set at a level commensurate with the high academic promise that led to the student’s original selection as a fellow. Therefore, programs review the academic progress of fellows at least once during each academic year to ascertain that these standards continue to be met. Each department has its own procedure for reviewing academic progress and renewing fellowships; fellows should contact their department for additional details.

Because the Graduate School considers funding to be a cooperative venture between students, departments, and itself, fellows are expected to take advantage of all opportunities to obtain funding from external sources such as private foundations and government agencies. Every fellow in an Arts and Sciences doctoral program is required to submit evidence to the director of graduate studies (DGS) of their department of at least one good-faith effort made to obtain funding from a source external to the University. Students should consult with the DGS to determine what constitutes such an effort for a given field and stage in the program. The DGS supplies this information to the Dean of the Graduate School.