Dissertations: April 20, 2020
Art History and Archaeology
- Carlson, Raymond. Michelangelo between Florence and Rome: Art and literary culture in sixteenth-century Italy. Sponsor: Michael Cole.
- Foner, Daria. Collaborative endeavors in the career of Andrea del Sarto. Sponsor: Michael Cole.
- Kremnitzer, Kathryn. Manet's watercolors: Transition and translation in the 1860s. Sponsor: Anne Higonnet.
- Lovas, Jonathan. Hierarchical modularity in the reassembly of Hydra's nervous system. Sponsor: Rafael Yuste.
- Feller, Daniel. Using computational methods to support the clinical management of chronic disease populations. Sponsors: Noemie Elhadad and Olena Mamykina.
- Levy-Fix, Gal. Patient record summarization through join phenotype learning and interactive visualization. Sponsor: Noemie Elhadad.
- Liu, Shi. Harm in harmony: A socioecological perspective on east Asian collectivism. Sponsor: Michael Morris.
- Oh, Tae Seokk. The psychology of fun: A liberating engagement theory of consumer fun. Sponsor: Michel Pham.
Cellular, Molecular, and Biomedical Studies
- Levitin, Hanna. Biological inference from single cell transcriptomics. Sponsor: Peter Sims.
- Tsui, William. Simulating aqueous secondary organic aerosol formation and cloudwater chemistry in gas-aerosol model for mechanism analysis. Sponsor: Vivian McNeill.
- Schlaus, Andrew. Dynamics of light-matter coupling in lead halide pervoskites. Sponsor: Xiaoyang Zhu.
- Rudoni, Elia. Speech disorders. The speaking subject and language in Neronian court literature. Sponsor: Gareth Williams.
- Nechushtai, Efrat. Building trust in the news: U.S. and German journalists respond to political polarization. Sponsor: Michael Schudson.
- Hidey, Christopher. Content selection for effective counter-argument generation. Sponsor: Kathleen McKeown.
- Xu, Ji. Global analysis for non-convex optimization problems: A geometric approach to dynamical systems. Sponsor: Daniel Hsu.
Earth and Environmental Engineering
- Parlia, Sean. Ion pair conductivity theory and its application for predicting conductivity in non-polar systems. Sponsor: Ponisseril Somasundaran.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Ridge, Sean. Effects of ocean circulation on ocean anthropogenic carbon uptake. Sponsor: Galen McKinley.
Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology
- Heilpern, Sebastian. Integrating food webs and food security: Freshwater biodiversity loss and fisheries contribution to human nutrition. Sponsor: Shahid Naeem.
- Alfaro Serrano, David. Essays on firms in developing countries. Sponsors: Jonas Hjort and Eric Verhoogen.
- Cheng, Yi. Essays in applied microeconomics. Sponsor: Douglas Almond.
- Chi, Chun-Che. Essays on macroeconomics. Sponsor: Andres Drenik.
- Feng, Junlong. Essays in econometrics. Sponsors: Jushan Bai and Simon Lee.
- Friedman, Evan. Stochasticity in games: Theory and experiment. Sponsor: Alessandra Casella.
- Li, Mai. Essays in international finance. Sponsors: Jesse Schreger and Martin Uribe.
- Moncasi-Gutierrez, Xavier. Essays on health economics. Sponsor: Douglas Almond.
- Oh, Suanna. Essays in behavioral development economics. Sponsors: Jonas Hjort and Eric Verhoogen.
- Shin, Wonmun. Essays on housing and macroeconomics. Sponsor: Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé.
- Psychas, Konstantinos. Scalable scheduling policies with performance guarantees for cloud applications. Sponsor: Javad Ghaderi Dehkordi.
English and Comparative Literature
- Pawel, Rebecca. "Native, Yet Foreign": Spain in the African American imagination. Sponsors: Brent Edwards and Farah Griffin.
- Teran, Richard. Examining HIV viral load and longitudinal assessments of viral suppression of individuals living with HIV in Washington, District of Columbia. Sponsor: Mary Chiasson.
Genetics and Development
- Pantalia, Meghan. The role of circadian-regulated genes in Drosophila behavior. Sponsor: Michele Shirasu-Hiza.
- Koeth, Stephen. The suburban church: Catholic parishes and politics in metropolitan New York, 1945-1985. Sponsor: Ira Katznelson.
- Serby, Benjamin. Gay liberation and the politics of the self in postwar America. Sponsor: Casey Blake.
- Danilenko, Ivan. Quantum cohomology of slices of the Affine Grassmannian. Sponsor: Andrei Okounkov.
- Hayward, Laura. Polygenic adaptation after a sudden change in the environment. Sponsors: Ioannis Karatzas and Guy Sella.
- Li, Zhi. Arbitrage theory under portfolio constraints. Sponsor: Ioannis Karatzas.
- Zimmerman, Brandon. Experimental, theoretical, and computational models of mechanically-mediated fatigue failure in articular cartilage. Sponsor: Gerard Ateshian.
Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies
- Ansari, Mohammad Sadegh. Pythagoras in Baghdad: Safi al-Din al-Urmawi and the science of music in the medieval Islamic world. Sponsor: George Saliba.
- Glasenapp, Brian. To pray without ceasing: A diachronic history of Cistercian chant in the Beaupré antiphoner (Baltimore, Walters Art Museum, W. 759-762). Sponsor: Susan Boynton.
- Bhandari, Abhit. Political property rights: Essays on economic opportunity under selective rule of law. Sponsor: Macartan Humphreys.
- Rivera-Burgos, Viviana. Essays in minority politics and representation in the U.S. Sponsor: Robert Shapiro.
- York, Erin. Democratic institutions under autocracy. Sponsor: Daniel Corstange.
- Doran, Elizabeth. Childcare (in)stability and household (in)stability among low-income families. Sponsor: Jane Waldfogel.
- Kimberly, Laura. Older adult kidney transplant recipients: The lived experience of adaptation and integration. Sponsor: Ellen Lukens.
- Dieng, Adji Bousso. Deep probabilistic graphical modeling. Sponsor: David Blei.
- Huang, Sihan. Two contributions to community detection in social network. Sponsor: Zhiliang Ying.
TC / Applied Behavior Analysis
- Abdool-Ghany, Faheema. Degrees of bidirectional naming are related to derived listener and speaker responses. Sponsor: Daniel Fienup.
TC / Behavioral Disorders
- Leaman, Marion. Test-retest reliability of micro and macro linguistic measures in people with Aphasia and healthy adults during conversation and narrative discourse. Sponsor: Lisa Edmonds.
TC / Cognitive Science in Education
- Al Alamy, Lujain. The effect of cognitive and personality traits on decision behavior in the sampling paradigm. Sponsor: James Corter.
TC / Comparative and International Education
- Baek, Chanwoong. Knowledge utilization in education policy making in the United States, South Korea, and Norway: A bibliometric network analysis of actors, contents, and processes. Sponsor: Gita Steiner-Khamsi.
- Caumont Stipanicic, Lucia. The myriad meanings of inclusion: Teachers' path to inclusive education for migrant students in Uruguay's early childhood and primary education public. Sponsor: Regina Cortina.
TC / Counseling Psychology
- Cox, Robert. Unique and collective impact of interpersonal and structural stigma: Minority stress mediation framework with Latinxs. Sponsor: Brandon Velez.
TC / Economics and Education
- Bennett Colomer, Magdalena. Three essays on causal inference for observational studies. Sponsor: Peter Bergman.
TC / English Education
- Nagrotsky, Kathryn. Exploring teacher resistance to scripted writing curricula in a new graduate school of education. Sponsor: Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz.
- Paolucci, Lisa. From narrated "pathways" to pastiche: Complexities in interpreting and representing conversations with Italian American teachers. Sponsor: Janet Miller.
- Rejan, Andrew. Re-opening close reading: Literature education and literary experience. Sponsor: Sheridan Blau.
TC / Physical Disabilities
- Nicolarakis, Onudeah. An examination of the writing strategies used by deaf and hearing adults: Similarities and differences in cognitive, linguistic and conventional components. Sponsor: Ye Wang.
- Rosenzweig, Elizabeth. Adverse childhood experiences, parental self-efficacy, and language outcomes for children with hearing loss. Sponsor: Ye Wang.
TC / Politics and Education
Lyon, Melissa. Bounded unions: How restrictive labor policies affect teachers, students, and progressive politics. Sponsor: Jeffrey Henig.
TC / Science Education
- Heydari, Roya. The impact of informal science education on students' science identity and understanding of science inquiry. Sponsor: Felicia Moore Mensah.
- Lee, Min Jung. Chemistry teachers' pedagogical content: Knowledge and belief on integrating proportional reasoning in teaching stoichiometry. Sponsor: O. Roger Anderson.
TC / Sociology and Education
- Daruwala, Iris. Cross-sector collaboration in education: Comparative case studies of organizational death and persistence. Sponsor: Carolyn Riehl.
DISSERATION PROPOSALS FILED
- Van Geel, Lien. Augustus' sister: Octavia Minor's lives and afterlives.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Martinez, Carlos. Seasonal climatology, variability, and predictability of rainfall in the Caribbean.
- Towbin, William. Volcanic transport of Peridotite Xenoliths to the surface: A story of hydration, dehydration and melting.
- Aridor, Guy. Essays on the digital economy.
- Husted, Lucas. Essays in public finance and labor.
- Iyer, Vinayak. Essays in IO and urban economics.
- Liu, Ou. Three essays on inequality and the financial market.
- Mai, Tam. Essays in labor economics and education economics.
- Shi, Mengdi. Essays in public and health economics.
- Zhu, Yining. Essays on environmental pollution.
- Jaiteh, Salif. Memo: The puzzle of collective remittances.