Dissertations: April 6, 2020
April 06, 2020
- Singleton, Courtney. A vague dwelling: The contemporary archaeology of the Pelham Bay Park homeless encampment. Sponsor: Zoe Crossland.
- Rowen, Jonah. Materials, labor, and apprehension: Building for the threat of fire across the nineteenth-century British Atlantic. Sponsor: Reinhold Martin.
Art History and Archaeology
- Boyd, Rachel. Invention, collaboration, and authorship in the Renaissance workshop: The Della Robbia family and Italian glazed terracotta sculpture, ca. 1430-1566. Sponsor: Michael Cole.
- Schriber, Abbe. For a politics of obscurity: David Hammons and Black experimentalism, 1974-1989. Sponsor: Kellie Jones.
- Stavis, Jacob. The formation of Achaemenid art: Beyond iconography and attribution. Sponsor: Zainab Bahrani.
- Venkatesh, Divya. The role of the P53 network in regulating ferroptosis. Sponsors: Carol Prives and Brent Stockwell.
- Cen, Xiao. A thesis on entrepreneurship, employment, and investment decisions. Sponsor: Wei Jiang.
- Guo, Yifeng. Essays in information in financial markets. Sponsor: Laura Veldkamp.
- Mei, Danqing. Three essays on M&A and technology. Sponsor: Wei Jiang.
- Tomunen, Tuomas. Failure of risk sharing in the market for catastrophe risk. Sponsor: Paul Tetlock.
- Wang, Yahui. Essays on financial market and trade globalization. Sponsor: Kent Daniel.
- Cellular, Molecular, and Biomedical Studies
- Chen, Andrew. Spatial and genomic analysis of the glioma tumor microenvironment. Sponsor: Raul Rabadan.
- Dhindsa, Ryan. Deciphering gene dysregulation in disease through population and functional genomics. Sponsor: David Goldstein.
- Crosson, Isaia. Lucan's mutilated voice: The poetics of incompleteness in Roman epic. Sponsor: Gareth Williams.
- Donald, Rosalind. Greenlining: Eco-gentrification in Miami from the New Deal to the climate crisis. Sponsor: Richard John.
- Noell, David. Broadcasting faith: Regulating radio from the new era to the American century. Sponsor: Richard John.
Earth and Environmental Engineering
- Parhi, Pradipta. Diagnosing mechanisms for a spatio-temporally varying tropical land rainfall response to transient El Niño warming and development of a prognostic climate risk management framework. Sponsor: Upmanu Lall.
- Rim, Guanhe. Coupled kinetic and mechanistic study of carbonation of silicate materials with tailored transport behaviors for C02 utilization. Sponsor: Ngai Yin Yip.
- Ainsworth, Robert. Essays in empirical public economics. Sponsor: Miguel Urquiola.
- Herreno, Juan. Essays in empirical macroeconomics. Sponsor: Jennifer La'O.
- Hyun, Jungsik. Essays in applied macroeconomics. Sponsor: Martin Uribe.
- LaPoint, Cameron. Essays on the Japanese economy. Sponsors: Wojciech Kopczuk and David Weinstein.
- Lim, Xi Zhi. Essays in decision theory. Sponsor: Mark Dean.
- Singh, Divya. Essays in public economics. Sponsor: Wojciech Kopczuk.
- Wang, Mengxue. Essays on international capital flows. Sponsor: Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé.
- Huang, Yishen. Silicon photonic switching: From building block design to intelligent control. Sponsor: Keren Bergman.
- Zadka, Moshe. High performance phased array platform for LiDAR applications. Sponsor: Michal Lipson.
- Kurianowicz, Tomasz. The unknown future: Premonitions between futurology and pathology between 1750 and 1850. Sponsors: Stefan Andriopoulos and Oliver Simons.
- Igra, Alma. the substance of human life: The emergence of human nutrition in Britain 1918-1941. Sponsor: Susan Pedersen.
- Rutherford, Emily. The politics and culture of gender in British universities, 1860-1935. Sponsor: Susan Pedersen.
- Vuljevic, Suzana. The crisis of spirit: Pan-Balkan idealism, transnational cultural-diplomatic networks and intellectual cooperation in Interwar Southeast Europe, 1930-1941. Sponsor: Mark Mazower.
- Chen, Lin. Continuous-time and distributionally robust mean-variance models. Sponsor: Xunyu Zhou.
- Lian, Carl. On the enumerative geometry of branched covers of curves. Sponsor: Aise Johan de Jong.
- Marinescu, Monica. Moduli of surfaces and applications to curves. Sponsor: Aise Johan de Jong.
- Pirozhkov, Dmitrii. Admissible subcategories of del Pezzo surfaces. Sponsor: Aise Johan de Jong.
- Wu, Xuan. Weak noise limits of directed polymers and Gibbsian line ensembles. Sponsor: Ivan Corwin.
- Zhang, Zhongyi. Loop space of Lagrangians in a Liouville manifold and wrapped Fukaya category. Sponsor: Mohammed Abouzaid.
- Alsabah, Humoud. Essays in networked markets and financial technology. Sponsor: Agostino Capponi.
- Jia, Randy. New algorithms and analysis techniques for reinforcement learning. Sponsor: Shipra Agrawal.
- Heeney, Matthew. Agency and the attitudes: Responsibility through reasoning. Sponsor: Carol Rovane.
- Chen, Jue. Search for dark matter coupled to the Higgs boson at the large hadron collider. Sponsor: Gustaaf Brooijmans.
- Forster, Hale. Saving money or saving energy? Decision architecture strategies and processes to encourage energy saving behaviors. Sponsor: Valerie Purdie-Vaughns
- Tedeschi, Ellen. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge: Understanding the relationship between curiosity, exploration and reward. Sponsor: Daphna Shohamy.
- Pheiffer, Brittany. Medieval culture and modern exile: The Middle Ages in the Russian émigré imagination. Sponsor: Valentina Izmirlieva.
- Traverse, Emily. Ethics to art: Vasily Grossman's poetics as the realization of his philosophy. Sponsor: Boris Gasparov.
- Ghosal, Promit. Time evolution of the KPZ equation. Sponsor: Ivan Corwin.
- Sustainable Development
- Missirian, Anouch. Space matters: Quantifying ecosystem-mediated externalities. Sponsor: Wolfram Schlenker.
TC / Applied Behavior Analysis
- Friedman, Leah. Establishment of increased stimulus control for bidirectional naming increased stimulus control for other derived relations in 20- to 40-month-old toddlers. Sponsor: R. Douglas Greer.
TC / Behavioral Nutrition
- Alawadhi, Noor. Kuwaiti mothers' food parenting styles, and practices, and food-environments. Sponsor: Isobel Contento.
TC / Clinical Psychology
- Jordan, Alexandra. Religious community involvement in adolescence: The profundity of lived religion for teens. Sponsor: Lisa J. Miller.
TC / Developmental Psychology
- Kapengut, Dina. Child-directed speech and the developing brain: An investigation of adult verbal warmth and negative affect. Sponsor: Kimberly Noble.
TC / Economics and Education
- Mamba, Maurice. Do tuition elimination policies in Sub-Saharan Africa matter? Evidence from the universal secondary education in Uganda. Sponsor: Alexander Eble.
TC / English Education
- Smith, Anderson. Empowerment and revelation through literature: A digital book club for post-incarceration. Sponsor: Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz.
TC / Mathematics Education
- Abdelsattar, Soha. Mathematics education in Qatar from 1995 to 2018. Sponsor: Alexander Karp.
- Shvartsberg, Yana. Towards the history of mathematics education for young women during 1890-1920. Sponsor: Alexander Karp.
TC / Measurement and Evaluation
- Zhao, Yihan. Studies of rater and item effects in rater models. Sponsor: Lawrence DeCarlo.
TC / Physical Disabilities
- Fancisco, Marian. The intersection of teacher education, education policy, and education research: Perceptions from teacher education stakeholders. Sponsor: Ye Wang.
- Rosenzweig, Elizabeth. Adverse childhood experiences, parental self-efficacy, and language outcomes for children with hearing loss. Sponsor: Ye Wang.
TC / Physical Disabilities
- Smolen, Elaine. Factors influencing language and reading development in young children with hearing loss who use listening and spoken language. Sponsor: Ye Wang.
TC / School Psychology
- Grant, Geremy. Stereotype threat and undergraduate writing performance. Sponsor: Dolores Perin.
TC / Science Education
- Heydari, Roya. The impact of informal science education on students' science identity and understanding of science inquiry. Sponsor: Felicia Moore Mensah.
- Stefanile, Adam. A study of secondary school students' participation in a novel course on genomic principles and practices. Sponsor: Christopher Emdin.
TC / Teaching of Social Studies
- Coddington, Nicholas. Bridging the gap between theory and practice: The influence of a pre-service teaching residency at a historic site, archive, library, or museum on in-service pedagogical practices. Sponsor: Christine Baron.
- Errazuriz Besa, Valentina. "Hijas de la Lucha": Social studies education and gender/political subjectification in the Chilean high school feminist movement. Sponsor: Sandra Schmidt.
- Shatara, Hannadi. The influence of world history teacher positionalities for global education. Sponsor: Sandra Schmidt.
DISSERTATION PROPOSALS FILED
- Abler, Melissa. Experimental characterization of three-wave coupling in a turbulent dipole-confined plasma.
Art History and Archaeology
- Gorant, Charlotte. Reliefs from the Bhārut stūpa: Re-evaluating early Buddhist narrative art (ca. 200 B.C.E. - 100 C.E.).
- Jiang, Angel. Plateresque fantasies: Architecture and ornament in Renaissance Spain.
- McCann, Natalie. Baroque costume portraits: Fashion in seventeenth-century British portraiture.
- Merkin, Sophia. Collecting the Pacific: Oceanic art in 19th-century American museums.
Art History and Archaeology
- Woolley, Heather. Miraculous technologies: The supernatural in modern image making, 1800-1900.
- Waingarten, Erik. New methods in sublinear computation for high dimensional problems.
- Kong, Sang Hoon. Misallocation in a spatial equilibrium.
- Ravaioli, Silvio. Information collection and integration in economic decisions.
- Sakabe, Shogo. Spatial spillover effects of technological innovation.
- Lees, Lynton. Democracy's children: Education, citizenship, and the totalitarian challenge to Britain and its empire, 1933-1950.
- Naponiello, Luca. Tentacles and spiderwebs: Italo Calvino and the ecology of the folktale.
Materials Science and Engineering
- Carter, Michael. Woven fabrics with designer electromagnetic response.
- Soled, Kodiak. Perinatal social support among sexual and gender minority childbearing individuals.
- Xiao, Xiao. Space, texts, and communities-religious imaginations of the early developments of Kiyomizudera.