Dissertations: March 8, 2021
- Sunku, Sai. Twisted bilayer graphene probed with nano-optics. Sponsor: Dmitri Basov.
- Godel, Addison. Metropolitan equipment: Architecture as infrastructural interface in 20th century New York City. Sponsor: Felicity Scott.
- Jones Molina, John. Electromechanical coupling in cells and its diverse effects on membrane tension and conductance. Sponsor: Ozgur Sahin.
- Koh, Clement. Assembly of polymer-grafted nanoparticles in polymer matrices. Sponsor: Sanat Kumar.
- Claros, Yujhan. (Post-)classical coloniality; Identity, gender (trouble), and marginality/subalternity in hellenized imperial dynastic poetry from Alexandria, with an epilogue on Rome. Sponsor: John Ma.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Healy, Gavin. The political and cultural economy of sightseeing: Foreign tourism in the "New China" (1949-1978). Sponsor: Madeleine Zelin.
Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology
- Kou-Giesbrecht, Sian. How do nitrogen-fixing trees influence the extent to which forests mitigate and exacerbate climate change? Sponsor: Duncan Menge.
- Li, Fengpei. Stochastic methods in optimization and machine learning. Sponsor: Henry Lam.
- Guo, Duo. Fermion low modes in lattice QCD: Topology, the η′ mass and algorithm development. Sponsor: Robert Mawhinney.
- Drees, Danielle. Staging sleep: Labor, care, and rest in contemporary performance. Sponsor: Jean Howard.
DISSERTATION PROPOSALS FILED
Art History and Archaeology
- Dillon, Claire. Constructing the histories of Norman Sicily: Production, power, and fragmentation in the textile industry and beyond.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Lesk, Corey. New insights into how changing hydroclimate might affect crop yields — and a way to avoid the worst of it.
- Xia, Boxi. Agile soft locomotion.
- SullyCole, Althea. Mande instruments at the Met: Analyzing intangible cultural heritage in the context of an African musical instrument collection in the museum.
- Ancheta, April. Multi-level risk factors for sexual minority adolescent obesity: Risks from the individual to policy level.