GSAS Compass How To Find an On-Campus Job

Many graduate students are interested in part-time on-campus work to earn extra money, gain relevant skills and experience, or some combination of those factors. At Columbia, there is no centralized resource for finding on-campus employment. If you are interested in finding a part-time job as a teaching or research assistant or in other hourly roles, we suggest using the following resources. Below, find links to job boards and offices that have hired students in the past, as well as suggestions of how to be proactive in your search for an on-campus job. 

There are two types of on-campus jobs: 

Federal Work-Study jobs are only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have a financial aid work-study allocation. If you are unsure about your eligibility for work-study, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Casual On-Campus jobs are open to any Columbia student, regardless of financial aid package or citizenship. International students should check with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to learn about rules and restrictions around on-campus employment. Doctoral students should note the limitations on the number of hours they are permitted to work.

To find casual on-campus employment use the following resources:

For Teaching and Research Assistant Roles:

  • Watch your inbox during the first few weeks of each term for emails from your department and various offices around campus with opportunities.
  • Ask your department administrator if they are aware of any opportunities either with faculty in your department or in other offices.
  • Contact faculty directly with whom you would be interested in working as a research assistant. In your email, introduce yourself and your research interests, and ask if they might have any need for a research assistant. Keep your email brief and to the point.
  • Contact research centers across Columbia to see if they need assistance or hire student researchers. Click here to list of research centers at the University.