Dissertations: June 29, 2020
- Montero Castrillo, Fernando. Martial love: Articulation and detachment in the Moskitia's military occupation (Nicaragua/Honduras). Sponsor: Claudio Lomnitz.
- Brooks, John. Active feedback control of MHD modes and plasma rotation using currents driven from a bias electrode array. Sponsor: Michael Mauel.
- Blancato, Kirsten. Decoding starlight with big survey data, machine learning, and cosmological simulations. Sponsor: Melissa Ness.
- Zorrilla Matilla, Jose Manuel. Extracting cosmological information from small scales in weak gravitational lensing data. Sponsor: Zoltan Haiman.
- Altoé, Mirella. Diffuse optical tomography imaging of chemotherapy-induced changes in breast tissue metabolism. Sponsor: Andreas Hielscher.
- Melki, Lea. Electromechanical wave imaging in the clinic: Localization of atrial and ventricular arrhythmias and quantification of cardiac resynchronization therapy response. Sponsor: Elisa Konofagou.
- Robinson, Samuel. Bone mechanobiology of modeling and remodeling and the effect of hematopoietic lineage cells. Sponsor: X. Edward Guo.
- Sayseng, Vincent. Toward clinical realization of Myocardial elastography: Cardiac strain imaging for better diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. Sponsor: Elisa Konofagou.
- Chau, Michelle. Leveraging social media in nutrition interventions for young populations. Sponsor: Olena Mamykina.
- Cellular, Molecular, and Biomedical Studies
- Su, Steven. Characterization of primary cilia and Intraflagellar Transport 20 in the Epidermis. Sponsor: Ellen Ezratty.
- Fiala, Tomas. Polymer supported probes and drugs for targeted brain imaging and pharmacology. Sponsor: Dalibor Sames.
- Hughes, Isaac. Expanding Silane-mediated coupling methodologies for the formation of medicinally relevant structural motifs. Sponsor: Luis Campos.
- Mohd, Noushad. Efforts towards the synthesis of silanes for their use as catalysis and molecular wires. Sponsor: Tomislav Rovis.
- Peurifoy, Samuel. Organic electronics via molecular contortion. Sponsor: Colin Nuckolls.
Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
- Morgantini, Marcello. Structural damage assessment through parametric and non-parametric models. Sponsor: Raimondo Betti.
- Simone, Caleb. Enchanted bodies: Reframing the culture of Greek Aulos performance. Sponsor: Nancy Worman.
- Mahajan, Kunal. Performance and pricing of container deployments in cloud computing. Sponsor: Vishal Misra.
- Shokri Razaghi, Hooshmand. Statistical machine learning & deep neural networks applied to neural data analysis. Sponsor: Liam Paninski.
Earth and Environmental Engineering
- Doss-Gollin, James. Sequential adaptation through prediction of structured climate risk. Sponsor: Upmanu Lall.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Jin, Xiaomeng. Observing the distributions and chemistry of major air pollutants (O3 and PM2.5) from space: Trends, uncertainties, and health implications. Sponsor: Arlene Fiore.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Rogers, Joshua. Enchanted texts: Japanese literature between religion and science, 1890-1950. Sponsor: Tomi Suzuki.
- Tsering, Sonam. Role of texts in the fomration of the Geluk school in Tibet during the 14th and 15th centuries. Sponsor: Gray Tuttle.
- Yi, Yuan. Malfunctioning machinery: The global making of Chinese cotton mills, 1877-1937. Sponsor: Eugenia Lean.
Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology
- Quebbeman, Andrew. The big effects of small-scale environmental variation: Exploring spatial patterns of tree community composition and greenhouse gas production in a tropical forest. Sponsor: Duncan Menge.
- Huynh, Khanh Ngoc Han. Essays in experimental economics. Sponsor: Mark Dean.
- Fleischer, Daniel. Electrochemical noise limits of femtoampere-sensing, CMOS-integrated transimpedance amplifiers. Sponsor: Kenneth Shepard.
English and Comparative Literature
- McIntyre, Katherine. Fugitive poetics: Ecological resistance in the Plantation Era. Sponsor: Branka Arsić.
- Stevens, Jeremy. Secularization and the British lyric in the twentieth century. Sponsor: Sarah Cole.
Environmental Health Sciences
- Kramer, Sarah. Forecasting influenza in Europe and globally: The role of absolute humidity and human travel, and the potential for use in public health decision making. Sponsor: Jeffrey Shaman.
- Nigra, Anne. Arsenic exposure in US drinking water: Spatial patterns, temporal trends, and related mortalities. Sponsor: Ana Navas-Acien.
- Cohen, Gregory. Equity and efficiency tradeoffs in the prevention of heart disease - Concepts and evidence. Sponsor: Sandro Galea.
French and Romance Philology
- Burns, Raphaelle. The stories we tell: Novellas, news, and the uses of casuistry in early modern Europe. Sponsor: Pierre Force.
- Burton, William. On the origin and end of sex: Social construction from Monique Wittig to Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Sponsor: Joanna Stalnaker.
Genetics and Development
- Joseph, Sarah. The role of SMARCAD1 during replication stress. Sponsor: Alberto Ciccia.
- Nambiar, Tarun. Leveraging DNA damage response pathways to enhance the precision of CRISPR-mediated genome editing. Sponsor: Alberto Ciccia.
- Katz, Jordan. Jewish midwives, medicine and the boundaries of knowledge in early modern Europe, 1650-1800. Sponsor: Elisheva Carlebach.
- Somotan, Titilola. 'In the wider interests of Nigeria': Lagos and the making of federal Nigeria, 1941-76. Sponsor: Mamadou Diouf.
- Delfino, Massimiliano. Terrorism and the body: Representations of political violence in Italian film and literature during the early Anni di Piombo. Sponsor: Elizabeth Leake.
Latin American and Iberian Cultures
- Acosta, Santiago. We are like oil: An ecology of the Venezuelan culture boom, 1973-1983. Sponsor: Graciela Montaldo.
- Marín-Cobos, Almudena. Beyond Desencanto: Challenging the archivization of the Spanish transition (2010-2018). Sponsor: Alberto Medina.
Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies
- Cohen, Matan. Disengaged lives? Israel-Palestine and the question of surplus humanity. Sponsor: Gil Hochberg.
- Fort, Anthony. Rhythm in modernist classical music sounds different depending on how you move. Sponsor: Joseph Dubiel.
Neurobiology and Behavior
- Kaufman, Alexandra. Noncannonical circuit members of reward signaling in the hippocampus. Sponsor: Attila Losonczy.
- Long, Laura. Neural mechanisms of language perception in human intracranial neurophysiology. Sponsor: Nima Mesgarani.
- Odean, Naomi. Information routing for decision making. Sponsor: Michael Shadlen.
- Song, Jiyoun. Analyzing risk factors for healthcare-associated infections using multiple methodological approaches. Sponsor: Elaine Larson.
- Zheng, Katherine. Developmental assets in adolescents with chronic illness and co-morbid depression. Sponsors: Jean-Marie Bruzzese and Arlene Smaldone.
- Gao, Wenbo. Convex optimization and extensions, with a view toward large-scale problems. Sponsor: Donald Goldfarb.
- Oh, Min-hwan. Sequential decision making with combinatorial actions and high-dimensional contexts. Sponsor: Garud Iyengar.
- Qian, Huajie. Efficient uncertainty quantification in simulation analysis. Sponsor: Henry Lam.
- Yang, Shuoguang. Optimization and revenue management in complex networks. Sponsors: Daniel Bienstock and Van-Anh Truong.
Pathobiology and Molecular Medicine
- Yang, Young Joo. Understanding autophagy from the perspective of the autophagosome. Sponsor: Ai Yamamoto.
- Britto, Arthur. Brentanian continua and their boundaries. Sponsor: Achille Varzi.
- Martin, Laura. The social ontology of systemic oppression. Sponsor: Frederick Neuhouser.
- Rivat, Sébastien. Representations and realism in the age of effective theories. Sponsor: David Albert.
- Yaure, Philip. To reforge the Nation: Emancipatory politics and Antebellum black abolitionism. Sponsor: Robert Gooding-Williams.
- Chiriacò, Giuliano. A theoretical study of out of equilibrium phases of matter. Sponsor: Andrew Millis.
- de la Paz, Alexander. The problem of human shields in war. Sponsor: Robert Jervis.
- McAlexander, Richard. The politics of anticolonial resistance: Violence, nonviolence and the erosion of empire. Sponsor: Virginia Page Fortna.
- Slough, Tara. Essays on the distributive politics of bureaucracy. Sponsor: Michael Ting.
- Sutherland, Joseph. Three essays on the study of nationalization with automated content analysis. Sponsor: Robert Shapiro.
- Lee, Won. Behavioral, neurobiological and physiological plasticity of mice living in social hierarchies. Sponsor: James Curley.
- Bochicchio, Lauren. "Home away from home": Affirmative care practices among leading LGBTQ+ organizations serving youth. Sponsor: Susan Witte.
- Fox-Williams, Brittany. Trust matters: Race, relationships, and achievement in NYC public schools. Sponsor: Thomas DiPrete.
- Urena, Anthony. From risk to reality: Race, class, and HIV in an age of uncertainty. Sponsor: Shamus Khan.
- Lee, Ruiwen. Essays on the regulation and remote sensing of natural gas flaring. Sponsor: Geoffrey Heal.
- Varela Valera, Ana. Floods and inequality: Implications for sustainable development. Sponsor: Wolfram Schlenker.
TC / Applied Anthropology
- Dubuisson, Darlene. Place-making in a fractured academic landscape: Haitian intellectual exile & academic diaspora homecomings. Sponsor: Herve Varenne.
- Zhang, Michelle. What are friends for?: The arts of making do and working out in Beijing, China. Sponsor: Herve Varenne.
TC / Clinical Psychology
- Jackson, Devlin. The nature, motives, and perceived consequences of therapist dishonesty. Sponsor: Barry Farber.
TC / Economics and Education
- Yanagiura, Takeshi. Equity and higher education: Essays on performance-based financial aid, community college degree completion, and dual enrollment. Sponsor: Jordan Matsudaira.
TC / Social-Organizational Psychology
- Merriweather Woodson, Tarani. A [k]ink in the armor: How the intersection of racial and gender prototypicality affect perceptions of Black women aspiring to be managers. Sponsor: Caryn Block.
- Kuntz, Emily. Transformed within, transformed without: The enactment of religious conversion in medieval and early modern European saint plays. Sponsors: Eleanor Johnson and Julie Peters.
DISSERTATION PROPOSALS FILED
- Fitoussi, Margaux. The lives of the Quartier Lafayette: A historical anthropology of French colonial-era architecture in the Tunisian present.
- Mitchem, Alexandria. Cultivating a new scientific order in 18th and 19th century America: Excavating the roots of Bartram's botanical gardens.
- Thompsett, Fern. Civilization's discontents: The politics of world-making against colonial capitalism in the U.S. Pacific Northwest.
- Vanable, Ife. Tall tales: Hybrid, high rise schemes for housing New York’s Black urban middle – Mitchell-Lama low-moderate-/middle-income housing, 1955-1980.
- Blumenfeld, Nicole. Engineering technology for accessible precision therapeutics and diagnostics.
- Brudnicki, Philip. Development of a fibrous, collagen-based analog of the extracellular matrix.
- Sachar, Chirag. Investigating mechanosensing within the dynamic phases of T cell activation.
- May, Richard. Obtaining a molecular-level description of the solid electrolyte interphase on Lithium metal.
- Mayilvahanan, Karthik. Development of physics-based models aided by data science tools to understand limiting physical phenomena in secondary batteries.
- Padash, Azin. Bubble rise in complex fluids.
- Pang, Xueqi. Design principles for membraneless electrolyzers for production of fuels and chemicals.
Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
- Russ, Jonathan. Computational design of structures for enhanced failure resistance.
- Farrior, Mary-Evelyn. Greek epigraphy in the urban landscapes of Rome: Communication and communicator.
- Petrella, Erin. Herba Sanabit: Botanical Latin and the healing of bodies and texts.
- Pletcher, Charles. Economies of knowledge and deception in Sophocles' Electra, Philoctetes, and Odeipus at Colonus.
- Joseph, Tyler. Approaches for investigating microbiome dynamics.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Bock, Nicholas. Evaluating the role of small euakryotes in the structure and function of marine microbial communities.
- Trinh, Rebecca. Microbial ecology and particulate organic carbon export of the West Antarctic Peninsula.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Hao, Tenggeer. The Xin medium: Towards a philosophy of media.
- Tan, Chun Kiang. Cultures of blood: Science, empire, and mass media in twentieth-century Japan.
- Tedford, Laura. Unstageable plays: Tieck, Kleist, Goethe.
- Vaughn, Chloe. "Das Volk bilden": The pursuit of Volkstümlichkeit in the long 19th century.
- Blatchford, Barrie. Fashion victims: An environmental history of the American Fur Trade, 1870-2006.
- Quijano, Carolyn. Spectacle, disorder, and the foreigner in the medieval Italian city-states, 1200-1475.
- Rivadeneira, Stephanie. A journey towards the sacred: Nahua pilgrimages in colonial New Spain.
- Ryuk, Sohee. Weaving "oriental carpets" into the Soviet Union: Handicraft and folk art at the intersections of nations, commodity, and labor, 1928-1982.
- Wilkinson, Conor. A social history of plant and insect use in Africa's Great Lake Region: From early times to the nineteenth century.
- Colleluori, Tylar. Moderata Fonte's Floridoro and Renaissance chivalric epic: Revising the genre.
- Bhattacharya, Smiti. A preclinical biomimetic platform to study podocyte physiology.
- Zhang, Zhixing. Affinity micro and nanosensors for continuous glucose monitoring.
- Botti, Martina. Metaphysical information.
- Gurdon, Molly. Neo-Aristotelian absolute prohibitions.
- Marsh, Anthony. Aquinas and Teresa of Ávila on higher knowledge and how it makes us happy.
- McCarthy, William. Indefinite extensibility and modal logic: A defense of modal pluralism.
- Richmond, Andrew. Computational theories and the theory of computation.
- Naft, Michael. Extending the rejection sensitivity model to the stigma of criminal status: Trauma and coping in the age of mass incarceration.
- Green, Sharon. Social and health impacts of remittances: Evidence from panel data in Kerala, India.
- Nguyen, Minh. The remaking of Southeast Asian American spaces across the Bay Area region