GSAS Student News: October 2018
Read about the recent achievements of GSAS students:
- Ashkan Behzadi, DMA student in Music Composition, was a finalist in the Graham Sommer Competition for Young Composers at McGill University, and won second prize.
- History PhD candidate Madeline Woker was named a Spring 2019 fellow of the Camargo Foundation Core Program, and her article “Edwin Seligman, initiator of global progressive public finance” will be published in the Journal of Global History in November 2018.
- Jeremy Simmons, doctoral candidate in Classical Studies, received prestigious fellowships from the American Institute of Indian Studies and the Social Science Research Council to support his research on trade and exchanges between the Roman Empire and India. He is documenting his work on his website, Following the Monsoon.
- The Uptowner covered E3B doctoral student Meredith VanAcker’s research on tick exposure in New York City.
- Stylianos Dimou, DMA student in Music Composition, presented his most recent work, "...for Violectra," at the Gaudeamus New Music Festival on September 8.
- Amanda Martin-Hardin, doctoral student in History, published an article (titled “Nature in Black and White: Summer Camps and Racialized Landscapes in the Photography of Gordon Parks”) in the journal Environmental History.
- Germanic Languages PhD student Ross Shields, who will defend his dissertation this month, was awarded a residency at the Friedrich Schlegel Graduate School of Literary Studies as well as a visiting research position at the Zentrum fuer Literatur- und Kulturforschung.
- The Heyman Center for the Humanities named doctoral candidates Liz Dolfi (Religion), Alma Igra (History), Paul Katz (History), Warren Kluber (Theatre), and Emily Rutherford (History) as its 2018-2019 graduate student fellows.
- Classical Studies PhD student Giulia Bonasio will give a presentation (“Kalokagathia and the Unity of the Virtues in the Eudemian Ethics”) at the fourth annual Canadian Colloquium for Ancient Philosophy later this month.
Do you have news to share? Write to us at [email protected].